Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Ronald McDonald House Charities - Stampin' Up!

Did you know that each year, Stampin'Up! offers a special stamp set? That's right! Each year, and it is typically inside the back cover of the catalog, they offer a special Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC) stamp set.

For the 2016-2017 year, the set is called My Hero. When you purchase this stamp set, Stampin' Up has listed in the catalog on this page "Help support RMHC - we will donate $3 when you buy the My Hero stamp set" (see page 209 of the big catty).

This stamp set has MANY great greetings with it! There is Valentine's Day, Easter, a jack-o-lantern for Halloween, Christmas and a "to/from" stamp, get well, and my personal favorite "you are my #1 hero."

Well, I am the Lead Demonstrator for the Columbus, Ohio Ronald McDonald House. With that, Stampin' Up! provides me with a copy of the stamp set. So, after sitting down with the Volunteer Coordinator last month, we booked our dates through January 2017 and I planned my card design to use that stamp set!

Our first craft meeting was July 3rd. One of my team members, Donna, and I went to Ronald McDonald House and we made 84 cards! We also baked 5 dozen sugar cookies. Boy! Did those smell good! Here we are with Ronald, on the bench outside the main entrance.
With Ronald McDonald on the bench!
Dawn (in blue), Donna behind Ronald

Want to see some of the cards we made?
Just a few of the cards that remained about an hour into our crafting!

And these are just the ones that remained after we'd been there an hour!

All supplies are donated. Because I had quite of bit of retired designer series papers, we used some of the brighter (prettier) papers. Everyone who passed by commented "oh, those are pretty!" The ones with the flowers were the favorites!

To make it easy, we made 50 of those diagonal slash cards (SO EASY!). But I also had a few strips of papers left too. So Donna and I made an additional 34 cards with those strips! We used up everything from those packages!

A total of 84 cards were made during the 2-hour crafting! We had a few moms, and several children, stop and make the cards. It is so wonderful that these families share just a few hours, and their stories, with us. We had a mom from Oregon, a grandma from Florida, and several others stop and talk with us. I think the cookies were enjoyed by the kids too!

Two little girls wanted to make cards with their mom. They did a BEAUTIFUL job! After getting permission from their mom, the girls allowed me to take a photo of the outside AND the inside of their cards. I just LOVE the creativity!
Card 1
Card 1 inside
Card 2
Card 2 inside

The girls were making these for their sister, who is at Children's. Didn't they do a BEAUTIFUL job?! I love that they traced their hands for their sister.

Then it got busy! I wasn't able to take photos of the other cards, but rest assured - the residents made some wonderful cards! 

We had so many of the residents tell us that while they would LOVE to make a card, they just didn't have the time. So, since we already had about 20 stamped and put together, they looked through what was premade and were able to take what was needed. One mom rushed in, warmed a sandwich in the microwave, and was able to take a few of the cards on her way out. I think she was in the room a whole 5 minutes!

We had thinking of you, thankful for you, just for you, and you are so kind cards. Many of the residents like to make cards for the nurses and doctors and other staff. This time however, we had TWO requests for birthday cards. For our next meeting in August, I will be bringing a birthday stamp to use as well!

We will meet next on Sunday, August 14th, from 12p (noon) to 2pm. Can't wait to show you THOSE cards too!

Thanks so much to my team member, Donna, for volunteering to attend and help out! It makes it much easier when there are at least two of us. I could not have done it without her help! She did the stamping with the families while I started the cookies. Then we were both stamping and the cookies had to wait! So thankful that I am blessed with a wonderful team...

No comments:

Post a Comment