Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Christmas Gifts - Your Thoughts? And some BLOG CANDY! - Stampin' Up!

Crafters -

Got a question for you. Please feel free to leave a comment below.

And to make it really interesting, I would like to offer some BLOG CANDY!!

You will receive the cards in the photo below. Leave your comment by Saturday, December 6th at midnight (Eastern time). I will draw one name on Sunday, December 7th. The winner will have until Wednesday, December 10th to email your name and snailmail address to me. That way you will receive these in plenty of time for Christmas! (**NOTE: Your name will only be entered once and this is limited to U.S. residents only).

So my question involves something I saw on a Facebook group today. The lady posted a question about giving a gift for a gift exchange at work. She was going to make the cookie mix in a jar, decorate it, and gift that for her coworker gift exchange. They have a $15 limit. I thought the cookie mix in a jar was a GREAT idea, but I like homemade gifts. 

I feel that by being the recipient of a homemade gift, it shows me that the person took the time to make something FOR ME! They might not have known that I would receive the green decorated gift over the blue, but they knew they were making a gift that would be given to me. I like that kind of thoughtfulness.

Every year, I give a set of cards to the boy's teachers. Typically, I include 10-12 cards. I include Birthday, Thinking of You, Sympathy, Get Well, Cancer (What Cancer Cannot Do), and even a few blank cards. It changes every year! My husband makes the best Buckeyes BAR NONE!!!!! and we have included those in the past too. I have always received nice "Thank You" notes from the teachers.

So my question to you is... What do YOU think? Many of you who read this blog are cardmakers and crafters. Do YOU give a gift of cards? What has been the response to your gifts?

Several years ago, I gave a set of cards to my friend Rayma. Rayma plays the keyboard at our church and we have been in a few classes together over the years. I LOVE what she told me. She told me that she thought long and hard before she sent out one of my cards. She even used the words about sending a "Dawn card" to someone. I thought that was so nice! I make cards throughout the year and I always make extras "for later."

By making cards all year long, it allows me to have a number of cards to choose from for gifts. When I gift the cards, I take a long piece of ribbon and tie it around the set of cards. Some are plain, some are fancy, some are very feminine with glitter and flowers, and others are masculine.

Here is a photo of just some of my cards. I pulled out a box and just grabbed a handful. You may recognize some from previous card classes. Others you may have never seen before on this blog!
Just a few of my many cards!

Very eclectic mix of cards. Almost all are made with Stampin' Up! products because that's what I do! Some use retired products, because I keep many of the sets and papers that I really like. Others use current merchandise. But you do see the "cancer" card on the bottom left? That card is always a favorite. I made about 50 of them a few years ago and am now almost out of them. That one is made from NON-Stampin' Up! product (although the Butterfly punch is Stampin' Up!).

What do YOU think? Do YOU like handmade cards and handmade gifts? Do YOU like that type of gift better than a store-bought gift or even a gift card?

Leave your comment below and YOU may receive this set of cards. My gift to you! Hope you enjoy the card designs and I look forward to reading your comments!

3 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to read your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, I am a gift card person.... I too make cards all year long and every year I fill up a very large box of my home made cards (usually in excess of 600) and send them to Operation Write Home who sends them to all the troops that are stationed around the world. I get warm fuzzy's knowing that something I have made is going to carry a message home to a wife, or child, or mom or dad, girlfriend, boyfriend... Plus I know they will all be used.... Besides, my cards are not nealy as great as yours are....lol.

    I don't have any of the things listed to be able to leave my name/email address for the blog candy.... So appears you only get my opinion... lol...

    I hope you & yours have a wonderful Christmas

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie - That is WONDERFUL! What a gift you give by donating all of those cards! And you are so sweet! Your name will be entered into the drawing for the BLOG CANDY. Please check back on Sunday. If your name is drawn, you can send me an email with your information. The link for my email is on the right.

      Thanks so much for your comments and please keep up the great work! I'm confident our service members appreciate your cards so much!

      Delete