Sunday, December 2, 2012

Give a Gift of Cards!

Christmas is around the corner - I can't believe it will be here in just a few short weeks. Not even a MONTH from now!

As a cardmaker, I try to give gifts of cards to family, friends, teachers, co-workers, etc. In years past, I would give a gift of a dozen cards. That would be an average of one a month for my friend to give his or her cards away.


I found that some of my friends would send the cards - others liked them so much that they thought the cards were too pretty to send and they just liked to look at them!

I have also found that many people purchase a box set of cards and keep those on hand. You know the ones I'm talking about - they come 8 or 10 or 12 to a box. You can get them at any big-box store.

So to try to marry those two ideas (keeping cards on hand and having nice stamped cards), I started making cards that could be placed in a box and given, like the big-box store ones. Sometimes I wrap a ribbon around the set; other times I make my own box and place a bow on the boxed set! Makes a wonderful gift!

To make the cards like the store-bought ones, I don't add things like ribbon, or brads, or pearls, or rhinestones, or anything that adds bulk to the card. Here are a few of the ones that I will be giving out THIS year:

Nature Walk Set
Using InColor Markers
Along with Note Cards and Envelopes Package

Nature Walk Set
Closeup of Midnight Muse
I just LOVE giving sets of the same card, but in different colors. Using just the one set of InColor markers, I can make four different color choices!

Nature Walk
Very Vanilla Cardstock
Nature Walk
Perfect Plum Cardstock
Nature Walk
Side-by-Side Comparison


What do you think of the side-by-side comparison? I think both cards look really pretty but they just look different when you change the cardstock from Very Vanilla to Perfect Plum. All of the ink colors are the exact same. Just gave it a different look!

And here is one that I made for a friend of mine. His birthday was yesterday. I just added a little sponging at the bottom with some torn paper. I also double, triple, and quadruple stamped the image without reinking so it looked like there were trees in the background. Nothing fancy or hard about this card. But I love the image. Doesn't it look like the trees are in the morning mist?

Serene Silhouettes
Using markers and a little bit of sponging


And my final card uses an embossing folder and the FABULOUS Dazzling Details. LOVE this stuff (with Christmas, I REALLY love the Cherry Cobbler color too!). After I sponged the "water" beneath the boat, I placed a small bead of the Dazzling Details and then just smeared it a little with my fingertip. It makes it sparkle! 
Open Sea
Using an Embossing Folder and Dazzling Details
Makes it SPARKLE!

Well, I also challenged my downline to share their ideas, using the same concept. Here are a couple of theirs - and aren't they talented? LOVE them!
You Are Loved
made by Nina Riley
Using markers and an embossing folder


Papillon Potpourri and Beautiful Birthday
made by Charlene Hayes
Using markers and an embossing folder


Snowflake Soiree
made by Charlene Hayes
Using one stamp set and different colored stamp pads
and an embossing folder to dress it up too!


As you can see, your choices are unlimited! Pick a stamp set, some cardstock - white, vanilla, or colors - and start stamping! I don't know about you, but I would LOVE to receive one of these cards - WAY better and much more personal than the store-bought cards.

The supply items used to make each of these cards is listed at the end of this blog posting, along with the link to my online store so YOU can order the items and make the cards too!

Thanks so much to my downline for playing along with this challenge. Each downline member who participated received either a package of
Pearl Basic Jewels or Rhinestone Basic Jewels - her choice, just for playing along! Thanks so much to my upline, Sandi MacIver, for linking to my blog today too!



Nature Walk Set (white note cards):
Whisper White Note Cards and Envelopes, item #107311
Nature Walk Stamp Set, item #121997 
2012-2014 InColors Marker Set, item #126856
Design Frame Folder, item #123130
Big Shot, item #113439

Nature Walk cards (vanilla and plum):
Very Vanilla, item #101650 OR Perfect Plum, item #101889 Cardstock
Nature Walk Stamp Set, item #121997
En Francais Background Stamp, item #109521
Sahara Sand Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126976
Elegant Eggplant and Garden Green markers - part of the Regals Marker Set, item #119701
Labels Framelits, item #125598
Big Shot, item #113439
Sponge Daubers, item #102892

Serene Silhouettes Card (green):

Wild Wasabi Cardstock, item #108641
Serene Silhouettes Stamp Set, item #127324
Perfectly Penned Stamp Set, item #122892
     (you can also order these as single stamps through January 2, 2013)
Garden Green Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126973
Garden Green marker - part of the Regals Marker Set, item #119701
Early Espresso marker, item #119680 OR part of the Neutrals Marker Set, item #119703
Stamping Sponges, item #101610

Open Sea Card (blue):

Marina Mist Cardstock, item #119682
Open Sea Stamp Set, item #123032
Marina Mist Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126962
Early Espresso Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126974
Elegant Lines Embossing Folder, item #119277
Big Shot, item #113439
Sponge Daubers, item #102892
Dazzling Details, item #124117

You Are Loved Card (white):

Whisper White Cardstock, item #100730
You Are Loved, item #123779
Gumball Green Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126861
Design Frame Folder, item #123130
Cherry Cobbler Marker, item #119681 OR part of the Regals Marker Set, item #119701
Gumball Green Marker - part of the 2012-2014 InColors Marker Set, item #126856
So Saffron Marker - part of the Subtles Marker Set, item #119700
Melon Mambo Marker - part of the Brights Marker Set, item #119702

Papillon Potpourri and Beautiful Birthday (butterflies):
Very Vanilla Cardstock, item #101650
Papillon Potpourri Stamp Set, item #123759
Beautiful Birthday Stamp, item #125562
Pumpkin Pie Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126945
Basic Black Stampin' Pad, item #126980
Big Shot, item #113439
Elegant Bouquet Folder, item #115964

Snowflake Soiree (snowflakes):
Very Vanilla Cardstock, item #101650
Snowflake Soiree, item #127925
Midnight Muse Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126860
Gumball Green Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126861
Raspberry Ripple Classic Stampin'Pad, item #126859
Basic Black Stampin' Pad, item #126980
Big Shot, item #113439
Square Lattice Folder, item #119976

No comments:

Post a Comment