Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Making a Difference!

Crafters -

Some of you have heard me tell about how I began cardmaking. For those of you who haven't, this post is for you.

WAY back when I went to a scrapbook party. It was actually in August 2001. Had a BLAST! And I began this papercrafting journey. Fast forward a couple of years. I was a member of MOPS (Mothers of PreSchoolers) which is a WONDERFUL program if you are a mom of a young one! So I had other moms as friends who had younger children.

One night, my friend Laura and I were at our local scrapbooking store at an Open Crop. She was making cards and I was scrapbooking. Because we were both in MOPS, we began talking about this and that. During the discussion, we began talking about sending a card to each of the moms for her birthday. Of course the scrapbooking store had their dies for us to use, so I used them! I didn't know how to make a card that would be a "normal" card, so I just used one of the die cuts. It cut four small squares out of the front of the card, so it looked like a window. Then using different colors, I cut out balloons. I ran home and got my embroidery floss so the balloons would have tails. The balloons were visible through the little windows. I had a "bow" punch that was no bigger than 1/2 inch and punched that out to make it look like the tails were all "tied" together with this little punchie. And then I borrowed Laura's "Happy Birthday" stamp and her ink pad! No fancy corners, edges, no pop-dots. It was just a card.

So I began sending these out to the moms when it was their birthdays. Several months into this, one of the moms came up to me to thank me for her card. She was always really quiet - and well, I'm the bull in the china shop type of gal - and for her to come up to me was important, I could tell. 

As we are briefly talking, I asked her if she had a nice birthday. She got kinda quiet again and told me that her parents were unavailable (if memory serves, they were out of town), her husband was tied up and had forgotten, and her children were little - let's face it, with toddlers, YOU have to tell them when it is your birthday. They don't know.... In short, this "just a card" that I made months previous was the only card she received for her birthday. But that one card made a difference.

You don't have to have all the bells and whistles to make a card. Our boy makes cards all the time and he just uses construction paper! Here are two very simple and easy cards I've made that used nothing but cardstock and ink pad and colored pencils. I did put a little bit of ribbon on the green one. FYI - the green one uses the Ronald McDonald Stamp Set that is sold by Stampin'Up! The blue one is a retired butterfly but ANY butterfly would work!
Make a Difference in someone else's life today!

You can make a difference in many different ways. It doesn't have to be a card - it can be a telephone call, a hug, listening, or just by being a good friend. In the movie "It's a Wonderful Life", the lead character comes to realize that he didn't have to travel to far off places to make a difference; he made a difference in his little corner of the world. I know I would like to think "you really did have a wonderful life George Bailey" (insert YOUR name instead of George's) - smile.

So go out and make a difference today. Sometimes it may be seeing the positives instead of the negatives. You do what YOU can to make a difference.

“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’ - Matthew 25:23 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment